Frescoes on the first state floor
Around 1618 Bernardo Strozzi received from Gio. Stefano Doria the task of frescoing a room on the ground floor of Palazzo Branca Doria in piazza San Matteo, unfortunately damaged by humidity and which cannot be seen well any longer. This was the first fresco commission for this painter, who was then taken on to decorate the choir vault in the Genoese church of Saints Tomaso and Domenico, this was destroyed in the XIX century and in whose place the Carlo Felice theatre was later on built. Very little has been preserved of this majestic work of art - a fragment can be found today in the stores of the Accademia Ligustica - the composition is known thanks to a detailed sketch on display in the adjacent museum.
Read more: Frescoes on the first state floor